Saturday, June 20, 2009

some new poems

 La Plata

 

A calcium-white moon

twinkled like a parasite in our blood,

 

like a swallowed needle,

 

infinite rivers leading to one

ravenous and blinking core.

 

I wanted so many things.

More than a mouth of broken teeth

 

could possibly ask for.

One merchant after the other

 

sold colored pencils and plastic

combs to tired women with

 

swollen bones. A landscape made

entirely of wrong notes.

 

You offered the thief a swig of whiskey

instead of pulling me away

 

when he reached for my pocket.

We let our legs dangle off

 

the train, penetrate

the glistening dark,

 

stars flickering like cello

tongues. The night smelled crisp.

 

Happy. We were happy

pulled up against the spicy

 

cunt of the world, offered

in one brief, delicious flash.



Prayer in Lingerie


I want nothing from you but your voice, now,
inhabiting the corners of my room, filling
my sheets with sweat and lilac-spume.
 
I stay awake listening to bullet-hard
insects and their flimsy night-gown wings
suiciding on my window.
 
Make sweet of their rot-flavored buzzing.
Make my nipples alcoholic and swivel
to the bottom of this martini glass-shaped
 
ache, dirty and lit from within.
 
 
Prayer in Red
 
Today I hovered around a single baby
seal's corpse, split-stomached on the beach.
I witnessed the infinite chewing
 
of the earth taking it back, leaving
only a dark slick behind. Most days
I don't need you to tell me who I am.
 
Let me stay where I belong, somewhere between
the glass jar in the back of the refridgerator,
one marachino cherry left,
 
and your mouth, gleaming and sugared
with thirst.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers