Friday, April 30, 2010

two new poems- raw and unrevised

Gleaning

Sometimes I imagine it is your hand that splits me open like a too-ripe

mango easing out the seed with fingers and teeth spreading me

on a white table cloth sticky with struggle and salt and lime sometimes

I imagine a gun pointed inside a voice that says come now and I

freeze because I can’t or won’t when I’m on my belly and it’s the middle

of the day and there are papercuts of light bleeding through

the blinds I’m a fish aching against the pulled back tide against

tight knots of barnacle and rocks hands of weeds tangling me down

I am splayed on a sundial obstructing time circumventing shadows

I am a speculum penetrating darkness widening the day into ventricles

and gills and cubicles opening into a perforated bruise

the pit of moon cold in the mouth hands closing like the steel

wings of eclipse outside there are church bells clanging and a car

that slows emptying out hardbreath and sizzle of dirtysouth twang and

sometimes it is my own death I am reaching for to pull it out of me

like a seed a snare the shrapnel of every man who’s left himself

behind the light on every blade on every tongue every swallowed

breath making me clean again.


The Heaven-Scent

When I haven’t stayed up the night drinking,

pissing in alley-ways, my legs writing bad checks ,

when I turn off the computer before I’m

exhausted, say goodnight to each corner

of the room, the moon dragging its lip

across the rim of sky, when I slip into

nakedness and feel the palms of my feet press

against wood and coolness, each open window

breathing into the bedroom, when I lift

the sheets and slide next to nothing but

a sideways pillows for my arms to wrap

around not because I’m lonely but because

it feels good, because the curtain flutters

like an eyelid, because I am home and not

running away, and the scent of me is alive

as the plant on the sill as the birds filling

a tree into one big self, I imagine them

pressing back into night, the heavens

torn, spilling honey all over me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers